Re: offtopic

Brian K. White (linut@squonk.net)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 21:02:40 -0400

> From: <linker@nightshade.ml.org>
>
> Those who can, code. Those who can't bicker about licenses.

Do you seriously contend that Alan can't code?

I am very highly interested in this topic, but I too am becoming of the opinion
that it is offtopic *here* and that there is a reason why mail lists and
newsgroups and IRC channels and fidonet echoes etc are divided into topics in
the first place.

Prospective GPL debate posters would possibly do well to consider whether it is
good social behaviour to decide for everyone else that everyone who subscribed
to the Linux-Kernel mail list is or should be as interested in the GPL-KDE topic
as they happen to be, by submitting posts dealing only with that topic to the
list.

Consider: It is obvious that no matter how interested I am in my kittens, and no
matter how many others in the list might happen to also have kittens, this is
not the place to discuss them.

The argument has been made: "Well, This affects all of us."
I posit: True.
and ask: So?
since : So does global warming, and many other much eviler things.

However, having said that, it occurs to me that this is exactly the place to
discuss whether or not the collective still desires the kernel to be GPL, since
questions about the effectiveness of the GPL have been raised.

--
Brian~