Re: ext2fs: do directories ever shrink?

Thomas Gschwind (tom@infosys.tuwien.ac.at)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 23:19:22 +0200 (GMT)

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Daniel Egger wrote:

> It would be nice to use this memory above 64MB just for caching
> files. Pssobly it would even improve the overall performance
> because we could make this feature a compile time option to just use
> memory above the cacheable one for file cache and thus make a
> smaller and more efficient paging system. Further I guess the L2
> doesn't cause big speed improvements to the filecache if the files
> aren't used very often in a very short time....
Not a good idea! Windows uses the top of the memory for file
caching. And according to ct this gives a big performance penalty on
machines with >64MB memory.

Probably it would be a good idea to use memory above 64MB on
Triton FX/VX/TX boards (and some others) as _fast_ swap space.
(Eg allocate the memory as ram disk and than use it as swap device)
Where in memory are ramdisks located?

However, I think this is still broken (as is the idea to use more
than 64MB in these machines).

Thomas

--
Thomas Gschwind                      Email: tom@infosys.tuwien.ac.at
Distributed Systems Group            Tel: +43(1)58801x4469