Re: FreeGPL license proposal (was Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing)

Kendall Bennett (KendallB@scitechsoft.com)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:05:06 -0800

"Jon M. Taylor" <taylorj@ecs.csus.edu> wrote:

> > >just FYI: you're collecting more and more points why I personally
> > >don't like GPL anymore and probably won't use it in the future for
> > >some sort of projects.
>
> I'm starting to feel the same way. The GPL now appears to have
> too much baggage and to be too poorly worded to continue using it. It is
> choking the practicality out of itself.

I have to agree with this sentiment, and in fact our company looked
seriously at the GPL and LGPL for our SciTech MGL Graphics Library
when we made it free. I really wanted to use the LGPL because it was
well known, but after reviewing it extensively ourselves (and getting
our lawyers to review it) the ambiguities in the wording and the
requirements for developers using our libraries to distribute source
code was unacceptable (our library was previously commercial and has
many commercial game developers using it for games like WinQuake,
Half-Life, Mortal Kombat Trilogy etc).

We invented our own free license initially and this was not every
well accepted in the Open Source community (primarily because our
initial license kept us as the sole mainatiner of the source code).
We recently switched over to a modified version of the Mozilla Public
License (modified by changing the names to the SciTech MGL Public
License basically) which after review we found to be well worded and
acceptable.

> So who's up for creating a "FreeGPL" license, extra-capitalistic
> rather than anti-capitalistic in spirit?

Why not consider making the Mozilla Public License the basis for the
new FreeGPL license? The one thing about the Mozilla Public License
is that it has been extensively reviewed and hashed out by both
Netscapes laywers and developers in the Open Source Community to the
point of agreement.

The one downside to the license is that it is legalese and can be
difficult to follow at times, however Netscapes 'Annotated Mozilla
Public License' makes it a lot easier to understand the issues is
covers.

The one biggest plus is that this license is now well known, and I
think it is highly beneficial to the Open Source Community for as
much code as possible to fall under the same license. I think this is
a primary reason why the GPL/LPGL has been popular; people use it
because it is well known and accepted, not because they necessarily
understand all the legal ramifications of the license. In fact IMHO
if you interpret the GPL/LGPL's anti-commerical sentiments it would
appear to me that much of the commercial software appearing for Linux
does violate some of the GPL licensing (but this is argueable because
the damn license is so vague!).

Regards,

| SciTech Software - Building Truly Plug'n'Play Software! |
| Kendall Bennett | Email: KendallB@scitechsoft.com |
| Director of Engineering | Phone: (530) 894 8400 |
| SciTech Software, Inc. | Fax : (530) 894 9069 |
| 505 Wall Street | ftp : ftp.scitechsoft.com |
| Chico, CA 95928, USA | www : http://www.scitechsoft.com |