Re: memory leaks [was: Re: Strange interrupt behaviour]

Michael L. Galbraith (mikeg@weiden.de)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 07:49:33 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>
> > I'm running Linux/m68k 2.1.108 on an Amiga 4000/040 with 12 MB RAM. The
> > machine serves as a mail and web server. After 8 days of uptime it gets
> > terribly slow due to memory leaks, so I reboot.
>
> to pin down those leaks, could you try the IKD patch from:

Keith Owens is a little too busy to update the package at the moment,
but there is an updated version at..
ftp://e-mind.com/pub/linux/kernel-patch/patch-ikd+profile-2.1.108-2.diff.gz

Or, if you use the original, I have a patch which can be applied on top
of the 105 version which will fix the memleak files for 108.

> and enable:
>
> +Memleak, Kernel memory leak detection support
> +CONFIG_MEMLEAK
> + For kernel hackers who want to track down memory leaks in the
> + kernel, say Y here and look at scripts/memleak. Mere mortals say N.

I haven't enabled memleak in the non x86 arch directories as I can't test
them. 2 things would need to be done.

1) edit arch/m68k/config.in and add the config option
2) if allocations show up attributed to pgtable.h (or maybe others), edit
same and turn the offending functions into macros.

2 isn't strictly necessary unless these are the numbers which are growing.

If you decide to tackle this, a tested diff of the arch specific changes
would be a very welcome addition to ikd. :)

Cheers,

-Mike