Re: Strange interrupt behaviour

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@valerie.inf.elte.hu)
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 01:41:51 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> are there any 16k allocations needed in RL? We need ~25 iterations to get
> a proper 16k-goal swapout. Also, this is _worst case_, when the system
> gets 'out of balance'. An NFS server doing a static rate of 16k
> allocations/deallocations will keep the 16k pool properly populated. We
> get only this worst-case scenario when we get out of balance. (which
> probably means hard trashing anyway for a couple of minutes, so spending
> CPU cycles to get it right does not seem to be a bad move)

also, one important property, the system _knows_ that it has not yet
reached it's goal. The current (scalar-metrics) system is quite blind in
this regard, this is why fork() 'fails'. The VM system does not recognize
that we are 'out of balance' regarding 8k pages. I dont think people will
complain that we spend more CPU power when swapping, people complain
because the system _fails_.

-- mingo