Re: 109pre2 video problem with X

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 14:35:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Craig Schlenter wrote:

> > That happens to me at least once a day or more, depending on how
> > much I use X. I have a Cirrus 5446 PCI with 2M, and am running
> > 2.0.35. Any attempts at contacting the X people, redhat, or
> > anyone else on any mailing lists have turned up no replies to a
> > fix, but have turned up other users with the same problems with
> > different hardware. Houston, I think we have a problem.
>
> I must admit that I have seen this behaviour before with other kernels but
> a while back I changed from fvwm to KDE (don't anyone start a thread on
> this please) and the problems seemed to go away. Then my hard drive
> crashed and I re-installed and I'm back to fvwm (if anyone has compiled
> KDE 1.0 for RH 5.1 drop me a note please) and whammo problems once again.

Well, I can safely say that I've used fvwm, fvwm-95, afterstep,
KDE, and GNOME, and got the same problems so it probably isn't
related to any of them. I think personally that it is X itself.
I'm running the latest update of X from RedHat 5.1.

> I must admit that I remember the original problems being less frequent and
> not worth bothering about.

It happens at least twice a day, and in my opinion if it happened
once a week, it is worth bothering about, but most probably not a
kernel issue.

> I suppose a good question at this point (since there seems to be little
> else in common) is do you use fvwm too? FVWM can certainly scroll in a
> similar fashion to the effects I am seeing (from my .fvwmrc):
>
> # press arrow + meta key, and scroll by 1/10 of a page
> Key Left A M Scroll -10 +0
> Key Right A M Scroll +10 +0
> Key Up A M Scroll +0 -10
> Key Down A M Scroll +0 +10
>
> This isn't quite the same effect but it's close. If it is a fvwm thing
> then the question is what is triggering it?

Like I said above, I don't think it is fvwm, but rather the X
server itself, or a library. Or the memory isn't being mapped
properly and thus is shifting one way or the other by a page, or
more. Sometimes the screen goes black with just garbage on it,
or a patch disappears off the screen. It never happens in
Windows 3.x/NT/95 on me though, and not in any graphical apps or
games in any OS. Just in Xfree. I havent tried any other X
servers such as metrox, but if it makes the problem go away, I'd
jump.

Now that several people have shown that they have trouble, I'm
certainly willing to test things out so long as it doesn't
jeopardize my filesystems, or stability. Any suggestions?

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com