Re: unnacceptable behavior...

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:04:10 +1000

David S. Miller writes:

> There are many ways to deal with a thread of discussion one does not
> like here. In fact the list of ways is endless.

As are some threads...

> However the one chosen by Mr. Gooch was the most asinine one I could
> have ever dreamt up.

Perhaps. Like I said earlier, I've had a gutful of this thread. What
really annoys me is that days ago people had asked that the thread be
taken off linux-kernel, and it was totally ignored. You yourself
claimed (falsely) it was relevant. It amazes me that people will
inflict their offtopic flamewars on others despite being asked to keep
the flamewar off the list. It strikes me as quite arrogant.

> If anyone else has begun using his silly rocket scientist enabled
> .procmailrc snippet, I suggest you stop using it right now. Not only
> is it extremely bad netiquette, many people who decided to try and use
> it are creating mailing list loops. Sorry, this is where I step in.
>
> So stop doing this now.

How do you feel about people manually replying to the sender of every
one of the offending posts?

> Mr. Gooch has been removed from this list so that he has a chance to
> read this and turn off his procmail rule, instead of slingshotting
> postings back to people all day and potentially creating mailing list
> loops galore. (it was a preventative measure Richard, I'm not trying
> to remove you permanently from the list, so please don't take it this
> way)

OK, just so I'm clear on this: there has been no evidence of a mail
loop (at least not via me)?
I'm quite careful about mail loops so I would be *very* surprised if I
had caused one.

> I'm sure otherwise I'd have 1900 mails to read when I next wake up,
> and so would some other people.

Erm, you mean if I'd set up a mail loop?

> So if the thread doesn't stop and it really sickens you, procmail it
> to dev null, not back to the posters and the list itself, that's just
> anti-social behavior.

Yeah, perhaps it was anti-social. I certainly intended to be
aggressive, since the thread was drowning out nearly everything
else. Just /dev/null'ing it doesn't provide encouragement to people to
cease and desist, though. I'm sure people who have to pay for their
net access would rather have the thread taken off the list rather than
filtering it after they've paid for the volume.

And speaking of anti-social, let us think about those perpetuating the
offending thread...

Regards,

Richard....