Re: 109pre2 video problem with X

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 06:30:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 14 Jul 1998, Craig Schlenter wrote:

> Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 11:34:19 +0200 (SAST)
> From: Craig Schlenter <craig@is.co.za>
> To: Meelis Roos <mroos@tartu.cyber.ee>
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> Subject: Re: 109pre2 video problem with X
>
> > Also a strange thing happened just some minutes ago. The screen image
> > shifted about a half to the right (or to the left). Mouse worked as the
> > windows were on normal places, just the image was shifted. Switching to
> > a text console and back put it back.
> >
> > Wrote about it because I heard somebody had similar problem here (shift of
> > 1/8 of the screen).
>
> Yes, I have had this happen to me too. Interestingly the screen shift
> co-incides almost exactly with the output of syslog messages saying:
>
> Jul 14 10:27:14 flashy kernel: ^IWaiting for 3c509 to discard packet,
> status 2001.
>
> Hmmmm .... perhaps there is some strange interaction there.
>
> I'm using fvwm2 as my window manager and I have a S3 video card, RH5.1,
> 2.1.109pre2. Anything similar to your setup?

That happens to me at least once a day or more, depending on how
much I use X. I have a Cirrus 5446 PCI with 2M, and am running
2.0.35. Any attempts at contacting the X people, redhat, or
anyone else on any mailing lists have turned up no replies to a
fix, but have turned up other users with the same problems with
different hardware. Houston, I think we have a problem.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com