Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Greg Lee (lee@hawaii.edu)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:41:47 -1000

rms wrote:

> But we can't just ignore Qt, because Qt is tempting free software
> developers to use it. And when they do, they write free software that
> won't run on a free operating system, because a free operating system
> does not include Qt.

It is not entirely true that software which runs as part of KDE
won't run on a free operating system. The user interface part
may be modular, with interfaces other than KDE available. The
Kmidi program, part of KDE, has six user interfaces avilable.
KDE is only one of them. (To use the others, though, it's true,
you do have to recompile.)

-- Greg, lee@Hawaii.edu