Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 13 Jul 1998, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> In message <m0yvpuM-000aNHC@the-village.bc.nu>, Alan Cox writes:
> +-----
> | Qt isnt part of the linux kernel, its not clear its a base distribution item,
> +--->8
>
> It apparently is for SuSE, it's apparently not *at the moment* for other
> distributions. This might well change as distributions update.

A decently-constructed license should not need this sort of
semantic game-playing.

> I don't buy the "so in general it's not" weaseling, because that declares
> SuSE to somehow "not be a normal Linux distribution". IOW the GIMP folks
> (or the next folks who pull this kind of stunt) are effectively given the
> right to control Linux distributions --- which is unacceptable.

Yup, and this sort of crap is an inevitable consequence of the
fact that the GPL contains too many restrictions on things that have
nothing to do with the source code.

> FreeBSD looks more appealing all the time.

It isn't perfect either. People can "take code private", and thus
the code isn't really free - something that is truly free can never be
made unfree. See my other post on a proposal for a "FreeGPL" license that
attempts to take the best parts of the GPL and BSD licenses and combine
them into a truly free license.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'