Re: Autoloading of OSS sound modules

Andrew Tristan (andrew@babylon.riverside.ca.us)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:26:59 -0700

I had attributed my inabililty to get autoloading of sound modules to
inexperience with this newfangled autoloading of modules. I've always
avoided it in the past, but now that I have PnP stuff, I figure I might
as well go whole hog.

The AWE32 docs have this to offer:
7) Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.local, inserting at the end of the file:
modprobe sound
insmod uart401
insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5 mpu_io=0x330
insmod awe_wave
sfxload /usr/synthfm.sbk
For my pnp ethernet card, the appropriate modules get loaded when ifconfig
sets the interface up. Shouldn't "sfxload synthfm.sbk", "cat blah.au >
/dev/audio", or whatever, do the same thing (with respect to sound)?
I just get complaints about the appropriate device not being present,
although kmod does load sound, soundlow, and, soundcore. I tried various
combinations of post-installs without any satisfaction. Can anyone
enlighten me as to what I'm doing wrong? (2.1.108ac2, modutils-2.1.85,
etc.)

-- On Jul 13, 9:30pm, Alan Cox wrote:
> Subject: Re: Autoloading of OSS sound modules (ALSA vs. OSS)
> > Well...I spent a lot of time working to get my AWE32 working under OSS
> > using "autoloading". I mean *lots* I went to every web page that was
> > brought up under altavista, etc.
>
> Look in Documentation/sound/AWE32 ...

-- End of excerpt from Alan Cox --

--