RE: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Brian Hurt (brianh@bit3.com)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 16:39:00 -0500

On Monday, July 13, 1998 4:13 PM, alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
[SMTP:alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk] wrote:

> > How is this different from writing free software for, say, MS
Windows?

> If you read the GPL it attempts to define an exception for the
specific
> case of "where things come with the distribution" - in otherwords
things
> like the windows runtime which everyone has and which doesnt restrict
> your program.

The assumption that "everyone has" Microsoft Windows is incorrect-
the last MS OS I bought and used at home was DOS 3.3. It is also
the case that, if I am distributing a peice of free/open-source software
for Windows, I am not legally able to distribute a copy of Windows to
run it on. What is the definition of "with the distribution"? I would
interpret that as "shipped with the code".

In both cases, the free/open-source software depends upon another
peice of software which is proprietary.

Another question this raises- since there is not currently a free/open-
source Java runtime environment, is it currently "evil" to write
free/open-source Java programs? What about Visual Basic?

> The purpose of the GPL is to keep software free within the definition
of
> the
> GPL. Software that depends on something that isnt generally and freely

> available (free GPL not free financial) to function is not really
free.

So the free/open-source software that depends upon MS Windows is
not really GPL-able?

For what it's worth, I haven't made up my mind about the whole
Qt vr.s GTK+ issue.

Brian