Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
13 Jul 1998 12:57:35 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.35A9A252.23AC5C49@tbcnet.com>,
Terry L Ridder <terrylr@tbcnet.com> wrote:

>Given that the KDE people have taken The GIMP source code and replaced
>GTK with QT, against the wishes of The GIMP's authors, and that QT will
>at some future date end up being released under the BSD License is what
>is being discussed.

The point where the GPL is used as a club to prevent people from
reusing free[1] software in other projects is the point where
everyone should reject the GPL and rerelease all their source
under a different and freer license.

If the GIMP's authors don't want people to reuse their source code
under the provisions of the GPL, they should not have released
their code under the GPL.

[1: I refuse to use the proprietary `Open Source'[tm] definition.]

____
david parsons \bi/ Not that a BSD'ed Linux kernel would change my
\/ source distribution policies at all.