Re: Changing uid of another process?

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 15:15:11 +0000

Roger Espel Llima wrote:

> And, since 2.1 is moving toward capabilities, rather than just passing UID's
> this method should also be able to pass capabilities, and that _only_ if
> the receiving process has the capability to receive them, and the sending
> process has the capability to send them.

This has the potential for a deadlock or a catch-22 situation, this will
have to be very carefully programmed in order to prevent nasty little
geeks from writing some code that makes these calls and creates a
deadlock in the kernel because they're waiting on these capabilities.
Also, how does processes knows if they can do this. How do we set these
processes' capabilities and so on?

Cheers,
Alex.