Re: PATCH: time.c modifications for clock instability.

Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:22:08 +0100

C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> and I really doubt that many people (without the use
> of said test suite) would be able to tell that their sub-jiffy timings
> were saturating early at the mark just before the next jiffy because the
> CPU was slowing the clock.

It does make smooth video animation a bit jittery, but it's not the end
of the world as long as jiffies are still working.

I remember a laptop with power saving totally screwing up the jiffies.
(Presumably APM support needed to be in the kernel, and it wasn't).
That was bad, but the above isn't.

-- Jamie