Re: 2.1 can't delete routes?

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Mon, 13 Jul 1998 11:02:29 +1200

On Sun, Jul 12, 1998 at 10:57:46PM +0000, Neil Conway wrote:

> Well, I think all the guy meant by "more intelligent" was for route to
> actually notice when a deletion request without a netmask was completely
> unambiguous and then act on it.
>
> What could that possibly break ?

Its more baggage from route to handle, and would make route(8) slow on
routers and similar machines where they have lots of routes (say, 45k+). Its
also likely to take down the wrong route when you have lots of little
routes.

On the whole, I don't think its a good idea. I think it encourages people to
write lazy scripts and sooner or later we'll get bitten by it.

-Chris