Re: ext2fs: do directories ever shrink?

Peter Mutsaers (plm@xs4all.nl)
12 Jul 1998 22:29:55 +0200

>> On Sun, 12 Jul 1998 14:49:27 +1000, Dancer <dancer@brisnet.org.au>
>> said:

D> I remember this same thing in every unix system I've ever
D> written software on. There may be 'standard' unix filesystems
D> out there that don't partake of this behaviour...I just never
D> recall seeing one.

When reading this thread I wanted to control myself and not plug
FreeBSD, but since Dancer asked so directly:

yes, FreeBSD does shrink directories. I just put 40000 files in a
directory. The directory grew to 500kb (b.t.w. the directory in
FreeBSD stays as fast as a small one because something like a btree is
used, so there is no slowdown in large directories).

When I removed the files the directory shrunk to 512 bytes.

--
 /\_/\
( o.o ) Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust me, I know