Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Tim Smith (tzs@halcyon.com)
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 06:53:07 -0700

At 08:10 AM 7/12/98 -0500, Terry L Ridder wrote:
>1. Motif has been mentioned.
>Answer: Motif is a non-issue. The Lesstif project was begun with the
>sole purpose of providing a GPL'ed replacement for Motif. Lesstif is
>a viable alternative for Motif. In the distant past Motif may have
>been an issue but no longer since Lesstif does exist.

Motif has been mentioned as an example of GPL'ed code linked with
non-GPL'ed code as an illustration of the "normally distributed with the
system" aspect of GPL. The existence and possible viability of Lesstif is
irrelevant to this.

>3. The FSF has stated that the QT library is not a system library
>and therefore it is against the GNU GPL to link GNU GPL'ed source
>code against it.

Unless I missed the FSF's appointment to an open judicial position, their
opinion carries no more legal weight than anyone else's.

--Tim Smith