Re: Linus Speaks About KDE-Bashing

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 08:10:18 -0500

There are several points which have been made in this thread.

1. Motif has been mentioned.
Answer: Motif is a non-issue. The Lesstif project was begun with the
sole purpose of providing a GPL'ed replacement for Motif. Lesstif is
a viable alternative for Motif. In the distant past Motif may have
been an issue but no longer since Lesstif does exist.

2. The QT library is the reason this thread even exists.
Answer: The KDE people could solve the entire issue by writing a
GPL'ed replacement for QT. With the Troll QT library replaced
at least the GNU GPL'ed or not GNU GPL'ed issue goes away.

3. The FSF has stated that the QT library is not a system library
and therefore it is against the GNU GPL to link GNU GPL'ed source
code against it.

The quick and dirty solution to all of this:
The non-KDE people have their lawyers call the KDE people's lawyers
and the lawyers have lunch together.

I personally am tired of this battle and would really like to see
it put to a stop. There are only going to be future problems if
this issue if not dealt with in a decisive manner. To ensure that
it is dealt with in a decisive manner means calling out the lawyers.

Therefore, I propose the following:

That Linux International and The Free Software Foundation
at the minimum together have the same law firm which resolved
the Linux trademark issue be hired to solve this issue.
Realizing that this costs money, I will gladly donate $100 USD
to the legal fund to deal with the KDE-QT issue once and for all.

So if either Richard S. Stallman, representing The Free Software
Foundation,
or John "Maddog" Hall representing Linux International would provide
a snail mail address as to where to send the donations we can begin
the process to resolve this issue.

<major snip>

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys