Re: PPP in 2.1.107?

Brian Schau (bsc@fleggaard.dk)
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 13:33:02 +0200

David Ford wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Jul 1998, Brian Schau wrote:
> > should I downgrade to 2.3.0 or upgrade >2.3.3?
>
> upgrade as is suggested in the documentation.
>
> -d
> --
> Please read the linux/Documentation/ files and review the last week of mail
> on linux-kernel before posting your problem.
> PLEASE don't quote _many_ lines and type _few_ lines
> -thx

Yes - I have RTFM. It states that I should upgrade to 2.3.5. No
problem.

Apparently, I didn't make myself clear. Does the combination:

2.1.107+isdn+ppp

work flawlessly when having an endpoint which is configured like:

2.0.33+isdn+ppp

? I'd like to hear from people having experiences with these kind of
connections.

The problem is, that I'm getting a lot of 'funny' messages in the log on
both the endpoint-machine (2.0.33+isdn+ppp (ipppd)) and my own machine
when I connect:

... select: Bad file number.
... couldn't restore device fd flags: Bad file numbers.

(I don't get these on a 2.0.34 box. 'ipppd' is the one to be obtained
from ftp.think.de ...)

My guess is that it's the ipppd which is poorly coded?

Occasionally, my logs are filled with:

Kernel: Socket destroy delayed (r=0 w=144) # w is sometimes 128

... these are not just repeated 2 or 3 times as David Miller once said:

last message repeated 9 times.
last message repeated 10 times.

... and so on.

I will try to upgrade my homepc and my endpoint to the latest and
greatest ppp-2.3.whatever and see if it helps ...

Best regards,

Brian