Re: kernel recompile...questions

Frodo Looijaard (frodol@dds.nl)
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:17:07 +0200 (CEST)

rbrooks@utdallas.edu (Rusty Brooks) wrote:

> On 10 Jul 1998, Dave Mielke wrote:
>
> > There has been much commentary regarding how to preserve an old kernel
> > in case the new one does not work. I have not, however, seen any
> > commentary about what to do with the modules.
>
> This is a very complex issue, especially since modules that are compiled
> in one kernel will often not work in another kernel, even the same version
> number.

[...]
> If anyone has a more elegant solution to the modules dilemma, let us know!

You might take a look at my draft of a mini-HOWTO about this issue:
http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol/howto.html

This document describes a setup which allows the installation and use
of several distinct kernel trees, even when they have the same release
number.

Comments, suggestions and corrections are very welcome!

Frodo

PS I read this on the Kernel list, any comments at linux-config will not
be seen by me!

--
Frodo Looijaard <frodol@dds.nl>
Find my PGP public key and more at http://huizen.dds.nl/~frodol/