Re: Future time

sinster@darkwater.com
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 14:03:55 -0700 (PDT)

Sprach John Kodis <kodis@jagunet.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 08:38:44PM -0400, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > But.... they're gonna be called 430MHz Pentiums. It's a shame to throw
> > away that kind of power because the machine can't keep time!
>
> Sheesh! How much can a quartz crystal cost, $0.50 or so? What a waste.
>
> Perhaps in the infamous tradition of win-printers and win-modems, this
> should be referred to as a win-timer. "The clock's grossly
> innaccusrate 'cause its got one of those broken win-timers, but by
> burning a few extra CPU cycles, Linux can compensate."

I don't really see any reason why we couldn't hack together a real
crystal circuit to replace those lame ceramic crystals. It'll involve
SMD desoldering of course, which requires equipment only some of us
have (unless the chip has relatively few pins). But if you really want
a 430MHz pentium, it sounds like it'd be worth it. You'd have to be
careful with your parasitics, but I don't think that'll be that hard
of a problem.

--
Jon Paul Nollmann ne' Darren Senn                      sinster@balltech.net
Unsolicited commercial email will be archived at $1/byte/day.