Re: Future time

Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:15:39 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 11 Jul 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Hey, what's the problem with reprogramming the 8259s so that IRQ8 were
> > the highest priority interrupt?
>
> We don't actually use the 8259 as a clock source on some machines already.
> The APIC is far nicer

Yeah I've noticed this some time ago, but I believe that machines which
have a local APIC installed and operating are still less common than these
which do not. Not even counting all these non-ia32 platforms (of which
some are equipped just with an RTC and no other timers).

Doesn't the APIC timer need compensation as a clock source, btw? Intel
docs claim that it loses half a tick every cycle on certain chips.