Re: Future time

Fri, 10 Jul 1998 16:52:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Jonathan Corbet wrote:

> > These
> > devices are surface-mount "chips" to reduce cost, and provide only
> > 2 percent accuracy as compared to 0.001 percent accuracy from typical
> > crystals presently used.
> >
> > Since time-keeping is important, and inaccuracies are cumulative, we
> > will have to come up with software fixes, possibly using the CMOS timer
> > for periodic re-calibration.
>
> Computers have never kept accurate time; I don't see that this changes
> much. If you're worried about time, you need to be running 'xntp' (the
> "software fix) or something similar.

Computers have keep time 'well enough', with the .001 percent crystals.
I doubt that you would be satisfied if the time-drift is so bad that
'make' no longer works.

I also am quite aware that machines may be "more-or-less" synchronized
to NIST. I do that with my time-server. The problem is that there is
a concerted attempt to minimize computing machinery so that they will
only work when connected on-line, perhaps to a Micro$oft-mother.

We have to make certain that Operating Systems remain divorced from
such new "technologies".

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.108 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).