Re: trouble: no init found, any hints?

Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:22:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998 korey@bellsouth.net wrote:

> --------------------
> Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 hda4 < hda5 hda6 hda7 >
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 files system) readonly.
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 48k freed
> Warning: unable to open an initial console.
> Kernel Panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.
> --------------------
>
> All I can do at this point is shift-PGUP & shift-PGDN.
>
> It's probably pretty simple. Any suggestions?
> I haven't looked into the init= option, but my other kernel doesn't need
> it.

It looks as though you mounted an ext2 file-system that was not your
root file-system (perhaps one of your user partitions). Note that
the kernel isn't able to open the initial console which means that it
can't find /dev/console.

Look in /etc/lilo.conf and see what "root" is. Then re-run lilo.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.108 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).