Re: Stupid df tricks

Allanah Myles (dossy@panoptic.com)
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 17:42:34 -0400

On 1998.07.08, Chris Wedgwood <chris@cybernet.co.nz> wrote:
> Look for texi2html - it makes HTML pages from texinfo documents so you
> canthen check it out with your latest browser.
>
> info files might suck, but texinfo makes nice pretty printer manuals, but
> then again, so does Microsoft Word....

Ack! Someone promoting the notion of HTML based documentation. I think
you need to be thumped with a cluestick. =)

Yes, hyperlinks in documentation *IS* a good thing. HTML documentation
*IS* a nice thing to have. Sure, HTML prints out fairly nicely.
So does troff -T ps -man foo.man | lpr -Pprinter. Actually, that's what
*roff was meant *for*, typesetting.

A roff2html would be a nice thing to have, but having traditional
manpages is a must. Unless, of course, you plan to provide some kind
of html-documentation "search engine" ala apropos/man -k.

-Dossy

--
    Now I'm who I want to be, where I want to be, doing what I've always said I
    would and yet I feel I haven't won at all...      (Aug 9, 95: Goodbye, JG.)