Re: everyone who has VM problems/messages (writable swappage or crash or lockup)

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 09 Jul 1998 13:46:34 -0400

MOLNAR Ingo wrote:
> is there anyone who has seen small or big VM problems (writable swappage
> or crash or lockup) who is using GCC 2.7.2.3?
>
> the thing is, i have torture tested the swapping code by using Stephen
> Tweedie's nice trick of swapping to ramdisk (the old one...) and doing
> random schedules, and have seen zero, nil, nada problems. I have done more
> swapping than a normal system would do in 10 years ... but i'm using GCC
> 2.7.2.3.

Hi Ingo,

Not to say there aren't compiler problems, but the recent report of a VM
lockup was just a case of an error return for what should have been
handled as a legal case. The flood of messages came from repeated
attempts to remove an unshared page from the swap cache.

The "writable swap page" problem is another matter -- I haven't been
able to find any cause for this, and can't reproduce it here. I would be
very glad to see this explained by compiler bugs ...

Regards,
Bill