Re: Nasty VM lockup with v2.1.108

alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 10:12:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> do you use GCC 2.8 / EGCS by any chance. Or put another way, does anyone
> see this who is running 'good ole' GCC 2.7.2.3? This would be great info
> as we could quit looking for miscompiles on the assembly level ...

I use egcs-1.0.3a, but this is the _first_ time I have seen this problem
occur - I've used egcs on the last 10 iterations of the kernel (2.1.98+)

The VM occured when the machine was slightly overcommited on virtual
memory - had X up and running (X had been running constantly for 1 day 13
hours prior), Netscape twiddling with freshmeat.net, a ftp session in the
background downloading tcl/tk8 stuff, an irc client and ppp client running
- toal swap used roughly 6MB +/- 2MB, 32MB of memory used (700k free) and
also a compile running in a console window.

I wonder what Spirilis was doing on his machine when he got the VM
problem.

Cheers,
Alex.

Watch out, the NSA are everywhere. Your computer must be watched!

/\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Smoke some cannabis today!