Re: Merced makes things interesting, eh?

Paulo F. Sedrez (sedrez@tecgraf.puc-rio.br)
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 00:08:00 -0300

>Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 20:18:54 -0500 (CDT)
>From: Shawn Leas <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com>
>To: Linux Kernel List <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
>Subject: Merced makes things interesting, eh?
>

>A little excerpt from a writeup by Rebecca Sykes, InfoWorld Electric seems
>to say that when Merced comes out, a lot of big vendors will transition to
>this platform, abandoning their own chip archtrs.

Nonsense. I can not see Sun abandoning UltraSPARC, IBM doing the same with
Power architeture, SGI with MIPS R10000, Digital/Compaq abandoning it NOW
powerfull Alpha, and so on, all with years of their own technology (and let's
say, high end technology) in favor of VAPORWARE, announced but yet-to-be
developed.

>"It should lower the cost for Unix vendors who choose to go with Intel
>because they won't have to continue developing their own proprietary
>platform to run Unix on," McCabe said. For
> example, Hewlett-Packard, Merced's co-developer, has announced that it
>will transition users of its 64-bit Unix-based PA-RISC platform beginning
>in 1999, she said.

It makes sense for HP, as they are co-developing (and probaly funding)
Merced, but you can be right sure that it will include a lot of PS-RISC
knowlege.

>Does this then mean that Linux (being technically superior in some
>respects to many major Un*xes) will be in an even better position to
>compete with big propriety OSes? I work with PH-UX (PHucking sUX), I
>would like to see something like linux instead of it.

Linux is already in position to compete in a lot with a lot of
proprietary OSes. For PA-RISC, for example, you can try pa-mklinux,
from osf - look at http://www.osf.org/mall/os/pa-mklinux . Even Sun has
joined Linux International, claiming Linux as an alternative OS for
their systems; Solaris, their fine Unix implementation, will continue
as primary (and officially suported) OS.

--
Paulo Francisco Sedrez				sedrez@tecgraf.puc-rio.br
TeCGraf/PUC-Rio