Re: [offtopic] dual vga?

Jon M. Taylor (taylorj@ecs.csus.edu)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:21:05 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Nathan Hand wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Nathan Hand wrote:
> >
> > > Accelerated X supports multi-head support with *some* video cards, for
> > > the list see www.xinside.com. GGI supports multi-head via KGI, but you
> > > may want to wait until GGI enters ALPHA before playing with it :-)
> >
> > <righteous indignation>
> >
> > Please do not make disparaging comments about GGI stuff if you
> > have not even looked at it, since from your comment it is quite obvious
> > that you have not. "GGI" (EvStack, KGI and LibGGI) has been alpha for
> > quite some time now and is actually going beta for 1.0 within months.
> >
> > </righteous indignation>
>
> Uh, dude, I'm running GGI on my machine right now, and I download the
> latest revision each week, and I've even participated in the creation
> of some patches.
>
> I'm just repeating the warning currently present on ggi-project which
> says "don't claim GGI is ready for prime-time, it isn't even in alpha
> yet". It's not my party-line: it's official policy.

Official policy is "it isn't ready yet", not "It isn't even alpha
stage yet". That makes it sound like all we have are some header files,
not that the project is almost three years old and has megabytes of
source.

> I gather you're pretty enthusiastic about GGI, but I wasn't trying to
> make any "disparaging comments" about the system. Step back a bit and
> you'll probably see this for yourself.

Sorry for going off like that. I just get too frustrated from
time to time. My apologies. I'm supposed to be stopping flamewars on
this list, not starting them |-<.

> > To return to to topic at hand, yes KGI does support multiheading.
>
> I know, that's why I said so.
>
> > Let me update this list on exactly what KGI can do and where it is
> >
> > [84 lines of updates snipped]
>
> A URL would have been more succint.

Yeah, and it might have been skipped over by people too. Alan cox
could have given a URL when he released 2.1.108ac2 and said "look here to
see what's new", but he listed the new stuff in his post instead so people
would have all the info right in front of them. I want to make *sure*
that no one on this list is left with missing or outdated information
about GGI anymore.

We have been way too lax about this in the past, and it has been a
great cause of misconceptions about what the current state of GGI is. I
am trying really hard to bring GGI in out of the wilderness, so to speak,
and that requires a considerably stronger presence on linunx-kernel than
we have had in the past. We are still alpha, but the next release will be
0.1.0 and we will be officially in beta stage for the 1.0 release. kgicon
is a very important part of that.

Again, let me apologize to Nathan and linux-kernel for possibly
reinforcing the negative stereotypes of GGI project members. We all just
want to make Linux better, same as everyone else.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
	- Scientist G. Richard Seed