[OFF-TOPIC] Re: I wanna Recompile my kernel, but...

Paul Duncan (p_duncan@efn.org)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 18:35:37 -0700 (PDT)

the short answer is to read the following url:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

for a longer answer, read on;

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, SLP wrote:
> Hi,
> To recompile my kernel, I have no choice but to upgrade my kernel right??
No. The source for your kernel should be in /usr/src/linux. If not, you
can download it. See the instructions below.

> For ie, if I wanna recompile my kernel just for my ethernet card support,
> and that I have kernel 2.0.30, I must absolutely have to get the code
> source of kernel 2.0.31 for ie..right??
> If it s the case, that is frustrating cause for every device or program I
> want my kernel to detect, I will have to upgrade my kernel....
>
> I also wanna know: if I have kernel 2.0.30, can I upgrade directly to
> kernel 2.0.34 without having to go progressively through the versions that
> are between..??
No. The complete source for each kernel is available from ftp.kernel.org
or one of the associated mirrors. Gunzip and untar the binaries in
/usr/src, then follow the instructions in document named README.

Generally, questions like this aren't appropriate for the kernel
mailing list. Feel free to email me personally if you have any more
questions.

/*
Paul Duncan p_duncan@efn.org Indifference will be the downfall
http://www.efn.org/~p_duncan of humanity, but who cares? - fortune

"in short, all known bugs should be "I'm to blame; I wonder just who
fixed, but hey, what else is new?" made the rules up for this game."
- Linus Torvalds - nine inch nails
*/