Re: [offtopic] dual vga?

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Thu, 9 Jul 1998 00:31:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Nathan Hand wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:
> * The existing 4bpp texmode routines (fbcon-cfb4.c, written for Macs) have
> problems with VGA 4bpp mode because it is big-endian. Fonts are garbled.

Very easy to fix. Just put some endianness defines in nibbletab_cfb4[], cfr.
nibbletab_cfb8[].

> * The video mode is currently fixed at compile time and cannot be switched
> (resolution is always 640x400, depth is set with a #define). I need to
> figure out how to make KGI's infinitely variable PLL mode generation
> routines work with the mode tables that fbcon uses. Shouldn't be a big
> problem.

Frame buffer devices also support arbitraty pixel clock values. They are
specified by the clock period in picoseconds. Should be sufficiently accurate.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be