Re: Linux in Mondays NY Times

Wed, 8 Jul 1998 13:04:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, [iso-8859-1] Johan Myréen wrote:

> > Will this also appy directly or indirectly to chips bought in the UK ? I
> > swore I wouldn't give them any money ever.
>
> An 8086 costs the equivalent of USD 7, including 22% sales
> tax, in the local electronics shop here. If Bill G gets 5
> dollars, and 1.30 goes to the tax man, that would leave 70
> cents...
>
> How could Microsoft acquire the rights to something that
> didn't even exist in the early '70s? The 8086 itself is a late
> '70s chip, and the IBM-PC (the original, not the AT, which
> came later) must have come after that.
>
> Johan Myreen
> jem@iki.fi

Don't kill the messinger! I just repeated what was repeated to me.
Futher, since we use the "Microsoft-Intel" architecture on machines
that we make, and we don't use Microsoft-anything on the machines,
we should not have to purchase a license to use such stuff. I am
assurred that we do purchase such a license as part of the CPU
cost --even though we don't use MicroGarbage.

The Operating System is not Linux either. It's called ARTOS
"Analogic Realtime Operating System". It handles, continuously,
8,700 interrupts-per-second (gawd). The context-switch rate is
about 2048 switches/second although it is dynamic to handle bursts
of activity.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.108 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).