Re: Major 2.1.x problem index

Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:47:12 +0100

Noel Maddy <noel@megsinet.net> wrote:
> That might be me -- I posted a few weeks back that I am always getting
> a freeze on bootup unless I do 'hda=noautotune'. It happens with
> every kernel from 2.1.99 through 2.1.106, including 2.1.105-ac5,
> but 2.1.98 boots fine without the noautotune parameter.
>
> Once it boots, I can safely `hdparm -X34 -d1' the drive without freezing.

Ok, I haven't been getting freezes at bootup, but in general use with
DMA instead. I'm trying something similar now:

At LILO, `ide0=nodma'
In /etc/rc.d/rc.local, `hdparm -X34 -d1 /dev/hda'

The results from `hdparm -t -f /dev/hda' are consistent with DMA working
(~9.30 MB/sec).

I've had this going since Sunday, no lockups so far, though the computer
hasn't been on for most of that time. This isn't long enough to be
conclusive yet. (I've had to wait longer for a freeze before, even with
the computer on all the time, doing all the cron things, downloading
news in the night etc.).

I'm going to stick with the same kernel (2.1.105) and these settings for
a while, and see if the freezes have gone away.

[ I have an AMD K6-233 (without the bug), 64Mb SDRAM, an FIC PA-2011
motherboard (with one of the VIA chipsets), a 6.4G Quantum Fireball ST
disk (IDE), a Matrox Millenium II, and a Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16.
[A Wintel PC with no Windows and no Intel chips <grin>] ].

-- Jamie