Re: [offtopic] dual vga?

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:59:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, Daniel Egger wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Jul 1998, Martin Mares wrote:
> >With ISA cards it's impossible since the I/O and memory addresses
> >conflict with each other. With several PCI cards it's possible, but
> >I know no drivers supporting it (AFAIK, different cards do configuration
> >of addresses in different ways).
>
> I'm trying very hard to get two PCI cards running at the same time.
> The only thing I reached so far is that the machine boots and runs
> normally with those 2 cards. But as long as all things on this earth
> rely on the bios of VGA-cards we'll never get them working unless
> the cards provide a jumper to remap the BIOS.....

So you have to initialize the second (third, fourth, ...) board yourself. Atyfb
already does that for ATI Mach64 boards (on PPC and m68k). If you add a PCI
probing routine, it should work on ia32 with some minor modifications. For
other boards, the KGI drivers will help.

VGA text mode is almost a no-go for the non-first boards (S3 does support MMIO
text mode, although undocumented).

Greetings,

Geert

--