Re: 3C509 and tulip

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 17:40:19 +1200

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 11:28:46PM -0600, James Rich wrote:
> I am trying to put together a system which uses both a 3c509 and a
> netgear (tulip) ethernet cards. However, on boot up only the tulip card
> is found. I really need the second card as this is a server between 3
> LANs (the third is on token-ring, works great). Any ideas on what I can
> do to get the 3c509 recognized? This is with both cards compiled into
> the kernel (not as modules).

try adding append="ether=0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1" to /etc/lilo.conf for the
said kernel image.

If you want to nail the 3c509 to either eth0 or eth1, then find its base and
IRQ and do something like:

append="ether=10,0x240,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1"

As someone recently pointed out, Ethernet card probing is fairly broken at
the moment, another thing to address when 2.3.x rolls around.

-cw