Re: 3C509 and tulip

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 01:37:33 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, James Rich wrote:

> I am trying to put together a system which uses both a 3c509 and a
> netgear (tulip) ethernet cards. However, on boot up only the tulip card
> is found. I really need the second card as this is a server between 3
> LANs (the third is on token-ring, works great). Any ideas on what I can
> do to get the 3c509 recognized? This is with both cards compiled into
> the kernel (not as modules).

The issue is that the kernel only probes for the first ethernet card and
then stops looking (kind of like how Red Hat 5.1 insists on installing on
a hard drive on the first SCSI card it finds :(

Solutions are:

Compile the ethernet drivers as modules...when loaded as modules they seem
to probe for all existing cards.

Leave the drivers compiled into the kernel and add this to lilo.conf (and
run lilo):

ether=0,0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,0,eth1"

That tells the kernel to probe for / autodetect both cards.