Re: File-descriptors - large quantities

Michael O'Reilly (michael@metal.iinet.net.au)
08 Jul 1998 13:04:19 +0800

Dancer <dancer@brisnet.org.au> writes:
> My math says I should need a max of about 6000fds to have the server
> keep up with requests. I figured that if the performance hit was not
> _too_ extreme that 12000 should be relatively future-proof.
>
> The particular bit of software (squid 1.1) I think has poll(2) as an
> option. I've not looked at that part of the source closely of late.

You'd be _way_ better off going to squid 1.2.

We run a VERY busy cache, and rarely see over 1500 FDs in use. Unless
your external links are slower than a wet piece of string (driving up
your request time-to-complete to the ridiculous), more than 3000fds in
use is an indicator of a problem elsewhere.

I strongly suspect your squid is bogged down on disk requests causing
the number of requests outstanding grow to silly amounts. Moving to
squid 1.2beta22 will dramatically improve your diskk thruput and
corresponsibly reduce the average request time-to-complete.

Michael.