Re: Framebuffer mostly not needed by ia32 boxens.. :)

Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:02:20 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:

> What people don't seem to realize is that the framebuffer code is mainly
> made for non-ia32 boxes that don't have hardware text support. I'd highly
> advise not using it on most ia32 boxes except when playing with neat
> videocapture software... ;-)

Wrong:

- How to you expect to handle Unicode with just 256 or 512 character
fonts in a usable way? To an american this may not be a big deal but try
to convince somebody from japan or china that 256/512 glyphs are
sufficient. Even Europe needs more than that to support all glyphs used
in its languages.

- How do you support graphics devices (like NeoMagic) where there is no
progamming documentation available.

As a matter of fact the framebuffer code makes a lot of thinks more
straight forward with regard to console handling. And don't forget: PC98+
specifications have already dropped the text mode, so expect even ia32
boxes which don't have a true text mode.

Dominik Kubla

--
The text above represents my personal opinion and does not represent the
official position of my employer on the issue(s) discussed.  Any official