Re: MMX emulator ?

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 18:51:00 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Sylvain Pion wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I wondered whether there has been some thoughts about implementing an MMX
>emulator in the kernel, something like the FPU emulator. It sounds like a

Intel say that it' s impossible. From 24319201.pdf section 10.1:

10.1. EMULATION OF THE MMX™ INSTRUCTION SET

The Intel Architecture does not support emulation of the MMX
technology, as it does for floating-point instructions. The EM
flag in control register CR0 (provided to invoke emulation of
floating-point instructions) cannot be used for MMX instruction
emulation. If an MMX instruction is executed when the EM flag is
set, an invalid opcode (UD#) exception is generated.

Andrea[s] Arcangeli