Re: OBSOLETE STUFF (gpm, etc..)

H. Peter Anvin (nuke@bayside.net)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 08:13:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> > On Fri, Jun 26, 1998 at 06:05:04 PM -0700, dalecki wrote:
> > > 2. The whole console selection related ioctl stuff.
> > >
> > > It was broken from the beginning on. There is currently a new
> > > replacement mechanism: /dev/vcs, which should provide the same
> > > funcionality. Removing it will only break the in my oppinion
> > > anyway toyish mouse selection on text based consoles. This is
> > > something that will not break the system since this
> > > functionality isn't essential for operation.
> > > (8k)
> > "toyish mouse selection on text based consoles" is somthing that _many_
> > linux users find very useful. Replace the code in gpm that uses this
> > with /dev/vcsa, then wait a couple of years, then remove the code.
>
> Why? You just have to upgrade another program, along with the other, say,
> 10, that you will have to upgrade if you are coming from 2.0. Or are there
> any other programs using the same code as gpm? And, btw, I find selection
> and gpm highly useful.

while we're on the subject, does anyone else have really flaky mouse
motion with a serial mouse in gpm? it kind of jumps around, but it's still
usable. i wouldn't consider it a bug, but more of something that could be
improved on. it's happened on every linux system i've ever used with gpm
and a serial mouse (about 15 or so different systems, with different mice)

i apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but if it's a kernel issue
having to do with IRQ's or scheduling or whatnot, it would be better
answered here. note that the mentioned behavior does NOT happen with a
ps/2 bus mouse.
| / |/ /_ __/ /_____ | Nuke Skyjumper |
| / / // / '_/ -_) | "Master of the Farce" |