Re: Better patch for 2.1.106

Allanah Myles (dossy@panoptic.com)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 22:36:14 -0400

On 1998.06.14, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
> Here is a "better" patch that I hope should fix the CRC problem with
> zImages in 2.1.106 (personally, I think the "right" thing is to
> deprecate zImages completely, but I'm not likely to get a whole bunch
> of votes for this.)
[...]
> The problem with 2.1.106 is that zImages (but not bzImages) do a
> strange re-relocation from 64K to 4K, and it is done *before* the test
> (so 0x7c00 is actually in use at the time of the test.)

hpa,

I have a Cyrix P166 and Tyan Tomcat I motherboard here, now loaded with
80MB of RAM. Strangely, if I set in BIOS the L2 cachable size to 512MB
rather than 64MB (yes, it's an HX motherboard), when I try to boot my
zImage I get the "CRC error\n--system halted" message. My current
workaround is just to set the L2 cacheable size to 64MB, everything
works fine.

I'm running 2.0.34 here, zImage (is it worth going to bzImage? what
are the pro's/con's?) - I was considering applying your 2.1.x patch
to the 2.0.x tree and seeing if that eliminates the CRC error I
get, or if you think my CRC error is an unrelated problem...

Figured since you seem to know about this problem to ask you first.
Any thoughts?

-Dossy

--
    Now I'm who I want to be, where I want to be, doing what I've always said I
    would and yet I feel I haven't won at all...      (Aug 9, 95: Goodbye, JG.)