Re: Weird spelling fixes in 2.1.107

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
27 Jun 1998 18:13:30 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.980626120935.10485B-100000@tahallah.demon.co.uk>,
Alex Buell <alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:
>
>> May I use this answer for the clients of mine who are really upset at
>> the moment. That they are being "silly" about the spelling and grammar
>> changes.
>
>Dude, maybe it's time to get yourself better clients and more
>knowledgeable ones at that.

After doing commercial development in Linux for about three years
now, I can sympathize with his clients. Kernel interface creep is
a real pain, because it forces you to review everything that talks
to the kernel and either fix or upgrade to a tool that supports the
new interface (and which probably has other things tweaked as well,
forcing you to review everything that talks to this tool.) And it's
not as if it being a development kernel means much -- if you don't
comment when it happens (qv: my enhanced memory detection patches
and loadlin) it's not likely any broken behavior will be backed out
for the next release kernel.

>I suspect you're just going to get laughed out
>of there. I already am. Or maybe you are just a Microsoft bootlicker and a
>troller at that.

If you want to throw eggs, here: Aside from their anticompetitive
behavior, I don't have much complaint with Microsoft. They're
supporting a userbase a lot larger than Linux, and their developer
base is at least the size of the Linux developer base. Anything you
see Microsoft failing at technically should be considered a big
honking warning flag to the Linux developer community, because what's
biting them in the ass today is what will be biting us in the ass
tomorrow.

____
david parsons \bi/ The scarlet `M'
\/