Re: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability

David S. Miller (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 15:14:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Stephen C. Tweedie writes:
> > On Fri, 26 Jun 1998 03:15:30 -0400 (EDT), "Albert D. Cahalan"
> > <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> said:
>
> >> Explain how to do real-time IO bandwidth reservations with a
> >> filesystem that is unaware of the underlying structure.
> >
> > If you want to start that game, explain where you got the idea that
> > Linux's filesystems and IO subsystems were _ever_ designed to be able to
> > make guarantees about IO bandwidth at all!
>
> I didn't get that idea, since Linux is not designed for that.
> Linux was not designed to be portable, was not designed for SMP,
> was not designed to real-time scheduling, and was not expected
> to ever support SCSI.

It's lack of initial SCSI support is obvious. The way we name scsi devices
(/dev/sda /dev/sdb ...) is a complete joke! At least Linux's other 'new'
features are better written.