I should RTFM more :) (was Re: Strange Ethernet Device Errors in 2.1.106/7)

Scott Lampert (fortunato@altair.heavymetal.org)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 11:40:47 -0400

On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 10:10:09AM -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:
> FWIW, that particular information (about needing to upgrade ifconfig) has
> been in the Changes file a very long time. Even if I did things as you
> propose, you'd not have noticed because it wouldn't have been in the
> "Changes since the last version" section.... See Keith Owen's comments as
> well....
>
> Also, keep in mind that multiple people tend to submit patches for
> Changes, which causes confusion (as evidenced by the two different
> comments about ip chains in the current file), and that the Changes file
> is always a few releases behing the kernel since it's maintained by users
> (myself ;-) submitting patches to Linus as things break.
>
> I try to basically group things by topic (and then chronologically w/in
> topics) simply because that's easiest for most people to use. In your
> case, you're having a network problem that's new, so go to the networking
> section and look towards the bottom if you can't spare the time to read
> all the paragraphs. Again, patches from multiple sources and my own
> carelessness have jumbled this up as well....

I wasn't trying to criticize your work, don't get me wrong. :) It just
seems to me that a change that absolutely requires an upgrade to a newer
version of core system software should be more noticeable than the one sentence
blurb tacked onto the end of a paragraph about IPv6. I'll just be sure to read
the Changes file much more carefully from now on. It will certainly avoid all
the exasperation directed towards me! :)
-Scott

--
Scott Lampert              | Home Page: http://www.heavymetal.org
<fortunato@heavymetal.org> | PGP Key: finger fortunato@heavymetal.org