Re: uniform input device packets?

Allanah Myles (dossy@panoptic.com)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 03:17:15 -0400

On 1998.06.26, David Lang <dlang@diginsite.com> wrote:
> showing my ignorance, by user space do you mean the application program
> or a "helper program" that ties into the kernel but runs in user mode
> rather then kernel mode?

It could either be the actual application program itself (unfavorable)
or a library API that application programs could use.

Basically, my model is to keep the work that the *kernel* itself must
do to a bare minimum. Since devices typically generate interrupts that
"steal" CPU time away from a running system, keep those slices as small
as possible. Then, once the information is passed from device, to kernel,
into userspace (to an application, or the interface between application
and kernel driver), then the application can decode the informatio at
it's own leisure without taking away from the rest of the system's
performance.

Of course, it would be best to have a simple API that applications could
use instead of interpreting the driver output itself...

-Dossy

--
    Now I'm who I want to be, where I want to be, doing what I've always said I
    would and yet I feel I haven't won at all...      (Aug 9, 95: Goodbye, JG.)