Re: 2.1.107 frame buffer _badly_ broken

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:13:12 -0500

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Enrico Demarin wrote:
> Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl> said:
> >i586 UP, egcs-19980621, binutils-2.9.1.0.6

> >My graphics card is identified as:
> >
> > Bus 0, device 9, function 0:
> > VGA compatible controller: Cirrus Logic GD 5446 (rev 0).
> > Medium devsel.
> > Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0000008].

> >Whatever I gave to vga=ask, either I saw something (mostly CRC breakage
> >when booting) or I got very nice boot messages in tasteful black on a nice
> >black background. The boot froze everytime before finishing the first
> >screenful, but seemingly not with a checksum error with black screen
> >(ctrl-alt-del worked). Got rid of framebuffer stuff, boots and runs OK up
> >to here. Just one flicker when booting (switching to graphics mode, or
> >trying to?).

> Same problem here, i have a S3 Trio64v2dx....
> Compiled without framebuffer works but setfont is broken and no scrollback
> buffer...

Does it work with frame buffer support and vgafb instead of vesafb? Vgafb is a
text-only frame buffer device and should work. Technically it's the same code
as vgacon and the old VGA driver. It's main advantage over vgacon is that it's
a frame buffer device, and that it's much faster.

Now it's black velvet messages on peach black. No crash, boot just stops
(asking for VGA number, perhaps?)

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616