Re: egcs-1.0.3a weirdness with lynx-2.8 on v2.1.107

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:14:23 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, D.A. Harris wrote:

> As a general rule of thumb, I've always heard that you want 1.5 times the
> amount of RAM in swap, at least, more perhaps depending on what
> applications you're going to be running. Maybe you want to double or
> triple the amount of swap you have now, it could possibly explain
> a number of problems you've been having (like with bash 2.02 and grep).

That could explain it, but I have built and compiled packages under libc5
without any problems in the past. I cannot accept that memory requirements
have increased to that extent in glibc2 such that a machine with 32MB of
RAM and a swap file of 26MB cannot do things that it did previously. :o(
If that is the issue here, that is *unacceptable*. I do not want to throw
away lots of money just to upgrade the machine so it can do things
successfully. I'm not made of money.

Cross posted to both Kernel/glibc mailing lists for comments.

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!