Re: -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2, Why?

Tuukka Toivonen (tuukkat@ees2.oulu.fi)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 23:17:38 +0300 (EET DST)

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Alan Modra wrote:

>On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Marc Lehmann wrote:
>
>> no. could we solve this problem now? 4 byte alignment on pentiums is EVIL
>> EVIL EVIL. its worse than either zero or 16. Its a total waste of space.
>
>Can you prove this claim?

Intel's AP-500: Optimizations for Intel's 32-bit processors says:
"Prefetcher ... Alignment ... Pentium processor ... don't care"
(in the chapter 7 table)

Agner Fog's pentopt.txt says:
"Aligning code is not necessary on the PPlain and PMMX", where PPlain
means the standard Pentium CPU.

>I've seen results that show 4 byte alignment is *better* than 16 byte on a
>pentium because it reduces the cache footprint. Of course, this may be only with

Sure. And 0 byte alignment is even better (not for data bigger than 1 byte,
of course).

So is there even a single reason why the arch/i386/Makefile uses subject
line's flags for compiling a pentium kernel? Why not
-malign-loops=0 -malign-jumps=0 -malign-functions=0 ?