Re: 2.1.107 + fb + s3virge = FAIL

Torgeir Veimo (torgeir.veimo@vertech.no)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 23:35:19 +0200

Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> The motivation behind this is also having support for graphical consoles, not
> forcing everyone to use a graphical console! Vesafb is mainly intended for
> machines with graphics boards that do not have a hardware text mode, or that
> don't have an Open Source X server yet.

Would it be possible to have an option whether the abscon system should
intialize early or late put into config?

I imagine it would be usefull to have *con drivers as modules on a
'production/distribution' kernel on ia32, since it would then revert
back to normal mode when the driver fails.

Those few people on ia32 that doesn't have vga compatible graphics hw
would probably be imaginative enough to recompile with an 'early init'
option, or would simply use another boot disk at install.

--
-Torgeir